Thursday 15 February 2018

Electrelane: The Power Out

These are a brand new discovery of mine, borne of a throwaway recommendation from someone I follow on Instagram. I listened to their song 'Birds' off the back of that, which is heart-rendingly earnest and makes me feel sad without really knowing why, then - when it kicks up a notch after the reprise - joyous and jiggy.

I decided to listen to their first album 'The Power Out', from which the above song was taken.  When I finished my first listen, I started it all over again.  Since this blogs centres on 'weird' music, I thought a review of this record was definitely appropriate.  Songs range from folk choral epic 'The Valleys', whose soaring vocals put me in mind of Christian hymns and the British countryside, to the springy electronica of 'Only One Thing Is Needed' - as well as a couple of multi-lingual numbers thrown in there for good measure.

The lead singer's voice is haunting, authentic and melancholy; the time signatures are variable and bluesy; every song offers something different.  A lot of the tracks are reminiscent of bands like Warpaint in their subtle and melodic, yet complex compositions.  The fact that the band line-up is English and exclusively female just makes them even cooler in my eyes.

If you're after some soothing yet interesting alternative indie tunes to entertain and intrigue, I'd highly recommend this album.

'The Power Out' was released in 2004 and is the only Electrelane album I've listened to so far, so I can't comment on what direction they went in following this record - but I truly can't wait to find out.

No comments:

Post a Comment