Monday 7 October 2013

Everfree (mini post)

So I read Everfree, the third episode in Nick Sagan's dystopian series which began with Idlewild.

My overall thoughts were that it was a little disappointing. I'm not sure if it's because I was younger when I read the first two or because the author had a lot of plot to fit into a single novel (the entire reconstruction of humanity no less), but it seemed a little two-dimensional. The amount of things that happened left little space for character development - arguably not as necessary since they have all been introduced previously, but still extremely important I feel. This also resulted in the action feeling a bit rushed and lacking in impact.

On the plus side, the book does wrap up the story pretty well. It wasn't a struggle to get through and my prior attachment to the characters and knowledge of their history carried me through, making me care about their fates. It isn't a terrible book, nor is it a great one. I was as whelmed as whelmed can be.

This is just a short post as I don't like to slate things - the point of this blog is to big up little known but accomplished artists, but I hinted that I would report back on this novel so I thought I would follow through - this also serves to prove that I can be discerning (I don't just love everything!), so it might lend my taste some integrity.

Stay tuned for a proper post soon :)

No comments:

Post a Comment