Monday 6 May 2013

Darlings of the Splitscreen



For my first music related post I thought I'd go uber-obscure with a band whom nobody (save the person who introduced me to them years ago - and I suspect he may have known them personally since they are from Sheffield) seems to have heard of: Darlings of the Splitscreen. I used to listen to them constantly despite their limited back catalogue and still go back to them regularly. 

They spout a brand of funky electro-pop with more energy than much else out there at the moment - with fun and clever lyrics epitomised in the track In/Out and computer based robotic riffs like that of Juxtaposed, they offer a low-budget, up-tempo bubblegum style that I feel is lacking in pop music.

I am espousing their merits now as there seems to have been a bit of a dearth in their material in the past few years and I fear that their already negligible fame will slide into nothingness pretty soon. And I feel they're talented enough to deserve a bit of exposure.

The best place to hear most of their songs is on their myspace page: http://www.myspace.com/darlingsofthesplitscreen/
and their EP This Is How We Roll is available on iTunes.
They also have at least one music video on YouTube.

So go and check them out, I hope you enjoy. Here's the only song of theirs I could find on SoundCloud; the WTF Panda Club remix of one of my favourite DOTS song, Hiroshima:


https://soundcloud.com/massnerder/darlings-of-the-splitscreen-hiroshima-wtf-panda-club-remix

No comments:

Post a Comment